This diet plan originated millions of years ago and it is referred to as the “Cavemen”, “Stone Age” or the “Hunter Gatherer” diet. This diet is known as our ancestors’ way of eating. Thousands of years ago, people were taller, more slender, athletic, healthier and more versatile. This is because people from the Paleo generation have a healthier immune system due to the naturally fresh food they eat and the kind of work they do in search for survival. During this era, people ate fresh meat, fish, vegetables, fruits, and other natural foods. Their foods are packed with all the natural vitamins and nutrition that their bodies need. They ate foods which have more calories but less fat needed for energy each day. Their regular diet helps them get the prescribed controlled weight and it contributed to maintain their natural strength, mind power and endurance.
Today, a lot of people are overweight, high in cholesterol, stressed, suffering from depression, listlessness, and dying from diseases that can actually be prevented. Several reasons behind these situations depend on the quality of food eaten and the quantity of daily food intake. The immune system simply protects threats against various diseases and in how to overcome them will depend upon proper diet.
The Paleo diet helps with the avoidance of different diseases and chronic illnesses of our times. It helps with the prevention of obesity, hypertension, diabetes, intestinal problems, autoimmune illnesses, and depression. It also acts as an acne treatment for people with skin problems.
Here is a list of foods included in the Paleo diet plan:
1. Fresh fruits: apple, avocado, banana, blueberry, guava, mango and other seasonal fruits which are high in fiber.
2. Fresh green leafy vegetables
3. Nuts: almonds and hazelnuts
4. Grass fed animals: cows, goats, and other livestock
5. Feathered animals: chicken, duck, and turkey
6. Seafoods: tuna, salmon, cod, flatfish and other shellfish varieties.
7. Fats: coconut, olive oil, grape juice and other healthy fats
Here is a list of foods which should be avoided:
1. Dairy products: milk, cheese, cream, butter, ice cream, and other related products
2. Prepared foods: baked goods, sugar, candies, chocolates and other sweet condiments
3. Cereal grains: whole wheat, rice, pasta, crackers, cookies, white and wild rice.
4. Legumes: black and red beans, lima beans, lentils, peas, soya beans, and peanuts
5. Starchy vegetables: potatoes and sweet potatoes
6. Processed food: canned meat and fish, bacon, hotdogs, dried and smoked fish and meat
7. Carbonated drinks: canned, bottled, and sugary drinks
People should be aware of the changes in our society which affects our dietary needs. Basic food needs have generally been different since agriculture such as farming and processed foods have been introduced. Chemical, nitrogen and other unnatural fertilizers affected our farm products; thus, affects the health of the populace. Hence, people should be conscious of the right kinds of food for a healthy lifestyle.
By Brian Musial
Top Sources of Vitamin CThe Treatment of Vulvodynia with Acupuncture Research
Just a Spot of Arthritis?