Adapted from foodnetwork.com.
1 orange, juiced
2 limes, juiced + 1/2 lime, juiced
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
4 garlic cloves, minced, divided
1 jalepeno, seeded and minced
1 Tbsp fresh cilantro, finely chopped
3 tsp cumin, divided
1 1/2 tsp sea salt, divided
2 1/4 pounds skirt steak
3 bell peppers, thinly sliced (I used yellow, red, and orange)
1 red onion, thinly sliced
lettuce for lining serving bowls
- In a small bowl, whisk together juice of 1 orange, juice of 2 limes, 2 minced garlic cloves, 1 tsp salt, minced jalapeno, 1 tsp cumin, minced jalapeno, and cilantro.
- Place steak in a shallow container, and pour marinade over it. Refrigerate, covered, 8 hours or overnight to tenderize the meat.
- Drain the marinade from the meat. Grill steak over medium-high heat for about 4 minutes on each side. Transfer the steak to a cutting board and let rest.
- While the steak is cooking, heat 1-2 Tbsp olive oil in a pan. Add peppers, onions, and 2 cloves minced garlic and saute over medium heat for about 5-10 minutes or until soft. Sprinkle cumin, 1/2 tsp sea salt, and juice of 1/2 lime over mixture and toss gently to coat.
NOTE: If you grill your steak in a grill pan, omit the extra seasonings for the pepper mixture and, instead, saute veggies in the reserved steak juices in the same grill pan.
- Thinly slice steak against the grain on a diagonal.
- To serve, line bowls with larger lettuce leaves and add some chopped lettuce in the bottom. Top with a few steak slices, peppers and onions, guacamole, and simple salsa.
Steak with Tomato-Basil Spaghetti Squash
Check for Paleo eBook