Adapted from Food&Wine Magazine's 2002 Cookbook.
4 6 oz strip steaks (or steak of your choice)
1/2 cup dried mushrooms
1 cup boiling water
2 Tbsp unsalted butter
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 tsp finely chopped rosemary
11 oz. fresh baby spinach
freshly ground black pepper
- Soak the mushrooms in boiling water until softened, about 20 minutes. Drain the mushrooms, reserving the liquid separately. Rinse the mushrooms to remove any grit, then coarsely chop.
- Preheat gas grill to medium high. Grill steaks until medium rare, about 4 minutes per side. Let steak rest for about 3 minutes before serving.
- While steaks are cooking, melt the butter in a large, deep skillet. Add the mushrooms and garlic and cook over medium heat until golden, about 3 minutes. Add the rosemary and cook for about 1 minute. (Flip the steaks at this point.)
- Pour in half of the mushroom soaking liquid and simmer until reduced to 2 Tbsp, about 5 minutes. Add the spinach, 1 large handful at a time, tossing and letting it wilt slightly before adding more. Add remaining cooking liquid, as needed, to keep mixture moist.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring, until tender but still bright green, about 4 minutes. Season with salt and pepper and serve with steak.
Lemon Garlic Spinach
Check for Paleo eBook