Ever since starting paleo, I have been amazed at the versatility of cauliflower. I’ve eaten more cauliflower in the past few months than I have in my entire lifetime. This amazing vegetable is so neutral that, when cooked, it can be transformed into all sorts of non-paleo-tasting delicacies. This one is adapted from one of my favorite paleo food bloggers, Jen Cereghino.
Ingredients (Serves 2 - 4)
- 2 lbs. cauliflower, cored and cut into large pieces
- 6 slices bacon, sliced into ½-inch pieces
- 1/2 small yellow onion, halved
- 2 garlic cloves, peeled
- 1 tsp. minced fresh ginger (I use jarred)
- 1 small jalapeno, cored, seeded, and quartered
- 3 eggs
- 1 T. coconut aminos
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt
- 1 Tbsp thinly sliced (julienned) fresh cilantro (optional)
- 3 green onions, thinly sliced
- Steam cauliflower until fork tender (don't let it get mushy). Use your preferred method; I steam it in medium saucepan with just enough water to cover and cook at a slow boil for about 15 minutes.
- While cauliflower is steaming, add onion, garlic, and jalepeno to food processor and pulse until finely chopped. If you want a little heat, keep a few of the jalapeno seeds, and add them in.
- Drain water from cauliflower and transfer to a bowl (or back to drained pot). Mash with a fork or chop in a food processor (and then transfer to bowl), until it is a rice-like in consistency.
- Add onions, garlic, ginger, jalapeno, eggs, aminos, and sea salt to the cauliflower and mix to combine.
- Add bacon to a hot sauté pan and cook until browned and crisp, about 10 minutes. Do not drain.
- Once the bacon is browned, add the cauliflower mixture and stir to coat with bacon*.
- Continue to cook the "rice" mixture over medium-high without stirring for about 5 minutes, until browned.
- Flip the mixture and then continue to cook the other side for another 5-10 minutes, until browned.
- Just before serving, stir in green onions and garnish with cilantro.
*Add 1 Tbsp coconut oil if you want a more authentic, crispy texture.
Moo Shu Pork
Check for Paleo eBook