Crust adapted from Elena Amsterdam's The Gluten-Free Almond Flour Cookbook. Artichoke and green olive spread adapted from Primal Blueprint Quick & Easy Meals, Mark Sisson and Jennifer Meier.
1 1/2 cups blanched almond flour (I didn't have blanched on hand so I further processed my almond meal and used it instead.)
1/4 tsp sea salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 large egg
Italian herbs, to taste (optional)
Artichoke and Green Olive Spread
1 cup pitted green olives
2 15-oz cans/jars artichoke hearts, drained
1 Tbsp capers, drained
1 garlic clove
1 Tbsp fresh parsley
1/8-1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
2-3 links cooked Italian sausage, sliced thin
2-3 fresh plum tomatoes, sliced thin and drained on a paper towel
large bunch fresh basil leaves, cut in thin ribbons or "chiffonade"
1-2 thin slices red onion, quartered
- Combine all dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Whisk egg and olive oil together in a small bowl.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and mix with a spoon until moist throughout.
- Roll dough into a ball and set in the middle of a large sheet of parchment paper. Cover with a second piece of parchment paper and roll dough to about 1/8 inch thickness and about a 10 inch circle.
- Remove top parchment and slide bottom parchment sheet onto an unrimmed baking sheet.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes or until firm and lightly browned.
While crust is baking, combine all ingredients in a food processor and pulse several times until ingredients form a chunky spread.
- Preheat broiler.
- Spread artichoke and olive spread in a thin layer on the baked pizza crust. On top of spread, layer fresh basil leaves, tomato slices, and sausage slices. Sprinkle onion evenly across the top.
- Place baking sheet back into oven on the second rack. This will ensure that the parchment paper doesn't catch on fire under the broiler.
- Broil for 2-4 minutes or until toppings are lightly broiled.
- Cut pizza into 6 slices and serve immediately.
Check for Paleo eBook