I saw this recipe in a recent Cooking Lightmagazine and thought it would make a perfect paleo meal. It's got good fat from the avocado and flank steak, and one of my favorite accompaniments: balsamic vinegar. It is so important to use a really good balsamic vinegar. I don't buy my from the supermarket; fortunately, I am lucky enough to have two local resources: Someone's In the Kitchen, where Bonnie offers a great selection of The Olive Tap vinegar and oils, and Parkview Gourmet, where Charlie carries his own brand. If you are in the Libertyville area, I encourage you to try these local shops.
Adapted from myrecipes.com.
2 medium red onions, cut into 1/2 inch slices
1 1/2 pounds grass-fed flank steak
2 cups cherry or grape tomatoes, halved
1/4 cup good quality balsamic vinegar
1 ripe firm peeled avocado, cut into 8 wedges
extra virgin olive oil
- Place steak in a glass baking dish, season with salt and pepper and drizzle with oil and vinegar. Turn to coat both sides.
- Preheat grill to high.
- Drizzle onion with olive oil. Place onions on grill rack and grill 10 minutes on each side. Transfer to a medium bowl and cover tightly with foil.
- Grill steak for approximately 4 minutes on each side, or until it reaches your desired degree of doneness. Let rest 3 minutes and slice thinly against the grain.
- While steak cooks, add tomatoes and vinegar to onions and stir to combine.
- To serve, divide the steak evenly among 4 shallow bowls. Top with tomato mixture and avocados.
Grilled Flank Steak with Onions, Avocado, and Tomatoes
Check for Paleo eBook