Adapted from www.nytimes.com.
2 pound beef chuck roast
1 Tbsp coconut oil
1 cup water
1/8 cup coconut aminos*
1/4 cup coconut vinegar*
5 nickel-size slices ginger (peeling is not necessary)
2 cloves garlic, smashed
4 star anise
1 head red cabbage, core removed and cut into about 16 large pieces
1 leek, sliced (green tips discarded)
freshly ground black pepper
*Or replace both with a total of 1/2 cup coconut aminos.
- Combine water, aminos, vinegar, ginger, garlic, and anise in a medium bowl. Set aside.
- Warm coconut oil in a large, deep skillet over medium high heat.
- Season both sides of roast generously with salt and pepper.
- Place roast in the skillet and brown, without moving the roast, for 5 minutes or until a nice crust forms.
- Use tongs to flip the roast and continue to brown for about 5 more minutes.
- Layer cabbage on the bottom of the crock pot.
- Place roast on top and then scatter leeks over the roast.
- Pour aminos mixture over the top.
- Cook for 8 hours on low or until roast is tender.
Balsamic Beef Tenderloin Tips with Mushrooms and Acorn Squash
Check for Paleo eBook