Adapted from Make It Paleo, Bill Staley and Hayley Mason.
Makes 27 one-inch cookies.
1 vanilla bean pod
6 egg whites
1/2 cup pure maple syrup
3 cups unsweetened shredded coconut
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cut vanilla bean lengthwise and press open. Using a sharp knife, scrape vanilla beans into a small bowl.
- Place egg whites in a large bowl. Use a hand mixer to beat the egg whites until stiff peaks form.
- One at a time, use a spoon to gently fold in vanilla beans, maple syrup, and coconut.
- Use a small scoop or spoon to scoop small balls of batter onto the baking sheets.
- Bake for 10-15 minutes, checking the macaroons near the end of baking time to ensure the coconut doesn't burn.
- Let cool for one minute on the baking sheet and then transfer to a wire cooling rack until completely cooled.
- Store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to five days. Place parchment or wax paper between the layers. If storing in a sealable plastic storage bag, be sure to get as much air out as possible before sealing.
Coconut Cream Frosting
Check for Paleo eBook