3 cups rotisserie chicken or 3 cooked chicken breasts, chopped
2 medium onions, ends trimmed, halved lengthwise, and sliced with the grain
1/2 large or one small apple, cored and chopped into large pieces
9 slices bacon, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 Tbsp grass-fed butter
1 tsp coconut oil
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
1/4 cup raw honey (optional)
1/4 cup Dijon mustard
- Fry chopped bacon in large skillet. Remove bacon, reserving 1 - 2 Tbsp bacon fat in the pan.
- While bacon is frying, add 1 Tbsp butter and 1 tsp coconut oil to another pan over medium-low heat. Add onions and saute for about 30 minutes, until very soft and light brown. Do not set heat too high or onions will burn. If you want to make the onions ahead and keep them on hand, check out this great recipe for caramelized onions. For the CABOW, you do not need to completely caramelize the onions; sauteing them for even half of the time gives a great flavor.
- Whisk honey and mustard together in a small bowl,
- Add chicken, walnuts, grilled onions, and bacon back to skillet. Toss to combine and heat for 2 - 3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add apples. Stir to combine.
- Scoop about 1/3 of the mixture onto a plate.
- Serve with honey mustard.
Chicken and Avocado Tostadas
Check for Paleo eBook