1 lb nitrate-free, bulk Italian sausage
1 lb grass-fed ground beef
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
1/2 cup finely chopped red pepper
1 tsp (2 cloves) minced garlic
1/2 tsp red pepper flakes
freshly ground black pepper
extra virgin olive oil
Toppings and Garnish
1 small to medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch chunks
1 Tbsp coconut oil (or olive oil)
1/2 - 1 cup caramelized onions
large lettuce leaves
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Melt coconut oil in a large, rimmed baking dish. Add butternut squash and toss gently to coat.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until soft.
- Process in a food processor until pureed.
NOTE: This can all be done in advance. Try to get it done the night before or morning of the meal to simplify your life.
- While squash is cooking, preheat grill to medium high. Mix sausage and ground beef in a large bowl until they are well combined.
- Add garlic, onion, red pepper, egg, and red pepper flakes. Stir with a spoon or use your hands to thoroughly combine. Season with salt and pepper.
- Divide mixture into 6 patties. Drizzle each side with olive oil and season with salt and pepper.
- Grill burgers to your desired degree of doneness, about 5 minutes on each side.
- To serve, divide lettuce leaves evenly among plates. Top with a burger. Spoon pureed squash on top and then add caramelized onions.
Bacon and Egg Burgers on Mixed Greens
Check for Paleo eBook