4 bratwurst sausages (about one pound)
1/2 large head cabbage, thinly sliced on a mandoline
6 slices nitrate-free bacon, cut in 1/4-inch pieces
2 yellow onions, thinly sliced on a mandoline
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/2 tsp celery seed
1/2 tsp caraway seed
freshly ground black pepper
1/4 cup chicken stock
1/8 cup dijon mustard
- Fill a medium saucepan about 3/4 of the way with water and bring to a rolling boil over medium-high heat.
- Reduce heat to medium and place brats in water; boil for 10 minutes. Remove from heat and use tongs to transfer brats to a plate.
- Preheat grill to medium high. Grill brats until browned on all sides and cooked through, about 10 more minutes. Remove from heat, cool slightly, and cut into 1/2-inch slices.
NOTE: You can also finish cooking the brats in a large skillet on the stovetop.
- While brats cook, saute bacon in a large, deep skillet or stock pot until just crisp, about 10 minutes. Remove bacon from pan. Carefully drain all but 2 Tbsp bacon fat from pan.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for 5-10 minutes over medium heat or until onion turns translucent, being careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add cabbage and chicken stock and stir to combine. Cover and steam for an additional 5 minutes or until cabbage is just wilted.
- Add seasonings and mustard. Toss gently to coat.
- Add brat slices to cabbage mixture and stir gently to combine.
- To serve, divide evenly among plates or shallow bowls. Garnish with bacon pieces.
Roasted Beet, Orange, and Fennel Salad
Check for Paleo eBook