I adapted this recipe from Deborah Madison’s Green Beans Simmered with Tomato in her cookbook, Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone.
Here’s what you need:
- 1 pound of trimmed, older green beans cut into uniform 2-inch pieces
- 14 ounce can of Muir Glen diced fire roasted tomatoes, drained
- 1 large onion, sliced thin
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons of butter
- 1-2 cups of low sodium chicken broth
- Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper
Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Once the butter melts and the foam subsides, throw in the onions and some salt and sauté until translucent.
Add the minced garlic, green beans, tomatoes, and enough broth to cover everything. Increase the heat to high until the broth comes to a boil. Then, cover the skillet with a lid and reduce the heat to low to produce a constant simmer.
Let the beans simmer for 5-10 minutes (or as long as it takes) to get tender. Remove lid and simmer to reduce liquid for ~5 minutes. Check for seasoning and plate it up.
Braised Escarole with Onions
Check for Paleo eBook