Adapted from foodnetwork.com.
Serves 6 but easily scaleable.
1 Granny Smith apple, cored, halved, and thinly sliced lengthwise
1 large bunch baby beets (3 cups julienned)
4 celery stalks, thinly sliced
1 shallot, minced
1 lemon, juiced
1 tsp apple cider vinegar
3 Tbsp walnuts, chopped
3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil
freshly ground black pepper
1 large bunch salad greens
6 nitrate-free, natural sausages
6 serving of your favorite steak (flank, ribeye, etc.)
- Place lemon juice in a medium bowl. Add apples, celery, and shallot to the bowl and toss to coat.
- Place beets in a medium sauce pan and just cover with water. Bring water to a boil and cook beets until they are fork tender, about 30 minutes. Cool beats in cold water. Remove skin by placing each beet in a paper towel and then rubbing the skin off. Slice beets into matchsticks and add beets and walnuts to the bowl. Toss gently to combine.
- Combine vinegar, olive oil, salt, and pepper (to taste). Pour over vegetables and toss gently to coat. Let stand 10 minutes.
- Place salad greens down the center of a large serving platter. Spoon beet and apple mixture on top.
- While preparing salad, preheat grill to medium high. Cook sausages and steak(s) until they reach your desired level of doneness. Remove the steaks and let rest for 5-10 minutes. Slice thin and arrange sausages and steak on a platter. Serve steak and salad family style.
Beet Greens with Carrot Medallions
Check for Paleo eBook