Adapted from JensGonePaleo.
4 bacon strips, sliced into 1" pieces
2 pounds boneless beef chuck roast
2 pounds yams, peeled and cut into large pieces (you can also substitute carrots or squash)
16-oz jar of salsa
1 cup chicken stock or water
1 Tbsp sea salt
1 Tbsp black pepper
You can use a crock pot or a dutch oven for this recipe; I used a crockpot. If using a dutch oven, steps 1 through 6 can be done in the dutch oven, then covered and transferred to a preheated 325°F for approximately 4.5 hours.
Place browned roast on top of yams, then
cover with salsa and stock or water.
- In a large skillet over medium heat, add bacon and cook about half way.
- Season the roast with salt and pepper. Add the roast to the heated skillet with the bacon and brown, about 5 minutes. Turn the roast over and brown the other side, another 5 minutes. Remove skillet from heat.
- Use tongs to remove the roast from the skillet and transfer to crock pot. Add yams to the skillet and toss in bacon fat until they are coated.
- Transfer yams and bacon bits to the crock pot, lifting roast to set on top of the yams.
- Top the roast with salsa and stock (or water).
- Cook in crock pot on low for 9 hours or until roast is fork tender and easily pulls apart. (Cooking time will vary depending on the size of your roast and crock pot temperature.)
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer roast and yams to a serving platter or plates. Garnish with the reserved salsa.
NOTE: Yams will be very soft, I usually fork mash them prior to eating. If you prefer firmer yams, add them to the crock pot half way through the cook time.
Crock Pot Beef Roast and Cabbage
Check for Paleo eBook